August Burns Red - Leveler Deep Dive

NVL

Administrator
August_Leveler.jpg

Let’s dive into August Burns Red's album "Leveler," which has been a personal soundtrack of mine since its release in 2011. This album, for me, isn't just another notch in the belt for the band; it's a groundbreaking piece of work that exemplifies how metalcore can transcend typical genre boundaries and probe into intricate musical territories and emotionally charged themes.

Introduction to "Leveler"

"Leveler," the fourth studio album by August Burns Red, arrived at a time when I was voraciously exploring deeper layers of metalcore, looking for something that wasn't just aggressive but also intellectually stimulating and technically proficient. Released by Solid State Records, this album not only met but exceeded those expectations, presenting a maturity in sound and a complexity in lyrics that challenged my understanding of what metalcore could achieve.

Album’s Themes and Musical Direction

From the get-go, "Leveler" strikes me as a narrative journey through adversity, introspection, and personal evolution. The themes are intricately woven into each track, discussing everything from socio-political commentary to personal strife and resilience. Musically, this album is a beast. It’s laced with intricate guitar work, polyrhythmic drum patterns, and dynamic shifts that keep you on the edge of your seat. The technical skill displayed here is nothing short of prodigious.

Production and Sound Quality

The production on "Leveler" is stellar. Each instrument is crisply recorded, and the mix allows for each element to breathe, ensuring that the technical aspects are appreciated without overwhelming the listener. The sound quality enhances the listening experience, making the complex arrangements and aggressive passages equally impactful.

Personal Impact and Legacy

For me, "Leveler" has been a source of motivation and a benchmark for what modern metalcore can achieve. It’s an album that pushed the boundaries of its genre and broadened my musical horizons. Its impact on my appreciation for metalcore is profound, and I consider it a seminal work that continues to influence how I think about music and its possibilities.

"Leveler" by August Burns Red is not just another album in my collection—it’s a profound narrative that has shaped my understanding of music’s power to convey deep, complex emotions and ideas. It stands as a testament to the band’s growth and their commitment to delivering music that’s not only technically impressive but also rich in meaning and relevance.

Tracklist:

1. Empire
- The album kicks off with this powerhouse of a track, and it's here that I first got a taste of the album's scope. The song is a call to arms against societal and personal injustices, and it resonated deeply with me, reflecting my own frustrations and aspirations.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2. Internal Cannon - This track is notable for its Latin-inspired guitar sections, which blew me away with their creativity and flair. The blend of metalcore with unexpected musical elements spoke volumes about the band's willingness to experiment and push genre boundaries.

3. Divisions - Dealing with separation and the feeling of being torn apart by differing beliefs, this song's emotional depth is palpable. It’s a track that’s both relatable and profound, and its melodic yet aggressive composition perfectly complements the thematic content.

4. Cutting the Ties - Lyrics like "Forgiveness is something we find on our own" struck a chord with me, highlighting the personal journey towards letting go and finding peace. The musical buildup in this track is intense, mirroring the emotional turmoil of its lyrics.

5. Pangaea - Featuring guest vocals by Misha "Bulb" Mansoor of Periphery, this track is a standout for its technical brilliance and conceptual depth. It explores themes of separation and reunification, a metaphor extended to personal growth and global unity.

6. Carpe Diem - The phrase "seize the day" is given new life here, both lyrically and musically. It's an anthem for living in the moment and appreciating what we have, which always serves as a reminder for me to stay grounded and focused.

7. 40 Nights - This song is a reflection on perseverance through trials, inspired by the biblical account of Jesus' 40 days in the desert. The heaviness of the track is both a literal and figurative representation of enduring through challenging times.

8. Salt & Light - Here, the lyrics urge listeners to be forces of good and truth in the world, something I personally aspire to. The track is an uplifting piece amidst the album's heavier tones, providing a hopeful outlook on the impact one can have.

9. Poor Millionaire - A scathing critique of greed and corruption, this track delivers hard-hitting truths about the moral decay associated with the pursuit of wealth, echoing my own skepticism about capitalist excess.

10. 1/16/2011 - An instrumental interlude that serves as a breather within the album's relentless pace. It’s a somber, reflective piece that reminds me of the transient nature of life.

11. Boys of Fall - Another track about the passage of time and the nostalgia of past seasons. It’s a thematic continuation of introspection and looking back to make sense of one’s path.

12. Leveler - The title track wraps up the album with a message about leveling the playing field and addressing inequalities head-on. It’s a powerful finale that encapsulates the album's overarching themes of justice and personal accountability.

Back