August Burns Red - Sleddin Hill Deep Dive

NVL

Administrator
Sleddin%27_Hill.jpg

As a fan of the metalcore scene, I've always looked for those unique pieces of work that stand out not just for their heaviness or technical prowess, but for their creative risks. “Sleddin' Hill,” a holiday album by August Burns Red, is one such audacious project. Released in October 2012, this album takes a daring leap by merging the spirited vibe of holiday music with the band’s signature metalcore sound. Let me dive into why this album has carved out a special place in my holiday music rotation and stands out as a unique endeavor in their discography.

Introduction to "Sleddin' Hill"

When I first heard that August Burns Red was releasing a Christmas album, I’ll admit, I was skeptical. How would the aggressive sound that I’d come to associate with this band translate into the festive, cheerful melodies of Christmas music? But, “Sleddin' Hill” is not just any holiday album. It’s a full instrumental album that reimagines traditional Christmas songs through complex guitar work, intense drumming, and a fresh metalcore lens. The result is surprisingly delightful and refreshingly innovative.

Album Overview

“Sleddin' Hill” features a mix of well-known Christmas classics and a couple of original tracks, all instrumental. This choice to go instrumental was a brilliant move, in my opinion. It allows the band’s musicianship to shine through without the distraction of vocals, turning each track into a showcase of arrangement skills and musical interpretation.

Personal Impact and Legacy

For me, "Sleddin' Hill" is more than just a novelty; it’s a testament to August Burns Red’s versatility and creativity. Each December, this album makes its way back into my playlist, not just for the novelty of metalcore Christmas music, but because it’s genuinely good. It breaks the mold of typical holiday music and offers something that resonates with those of us who yearn for something heavier and more intense during the festive season.

Listening to "Sleddin' Hill," I’m reminded that music, especially holiday music, doesn’t have to conform to traditional sounds. This album respects the original compositions while completely transforming them into something new and exciting. It’s a bold statement in a genre that’s not known for its festive releases, and it stands as a unique jewel in the crown of August Burns Red’s discography.

My Verdict

“Sleddin' Hill” challenges the norms of what Christmas music can be. This album isn’t just for metalcore fans or those looking for an alternative holiday soundtrack; it’s for anyone who appreciates when bands take risks and create something unexpected and extraordinary. August Burns Red didn’t just make a Christmas album; they redefined what holiday music could encompass, blending the spirit of the season with the intensity and passion of metalcore. It’s a holiday tradition in its own right for me now, proving that even the heaviest of music can carry the light, joy, and wonder of Christmas.

Tracklist:

1. "Flurries"
- The album starts off with this original composition. It’s a soft introduction to the album that builds into a melodic metal masterpiece. The integration of bells and chimes sets a wintry scene, making it a perfect opener.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2. "Frosty the Snowman" - This rendition of a holiday classic is anything but conventional. The band infuses an astonishing level of energy and a new sense of urgency into the familiar tune, making it a track I can’t help but headbang to.

3. "Sleigh Ride" - The guitar work here is phenomenal. They manage to capture the essence of a sleigh ride’s excitement and speed, all while maintaining the cheerful undertones of the original song. It’s one of those tracks that proves metal can be joyous.

4. "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" - This track stands out for its darker, more somber tone. It transforms the classic carol into a hauntingly beautiful piece, showcasing the band’s ability to adapt and reinterpret melodies in unexpected ways.

5. "Jingle Bells" - Starting with a classic jingle, the track quickly escalates into a full-on metal jam. It’s fast, furious, and festive. The double bass drumming on this track is especially impressive.

6. "Oh Holy Night" - Perhaps my favorite on the album, this track is both epic and profound. The band manages to preserve the solemnity and reverence of the original while infusing it with a powerful, uplifting energy.

7. "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" - They turn this playful tune into a riff-heavy, energetic track that could easily power any intense workout session or festive party.

8. "Carol of the Bells" - Known for their previous rendition, the band revisits this song, enhancing it further with even more intricate guitar work and synchronized drumming that truly embodies the spirit of Christmas.

9. "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" - This track feels like a grand finale, complete with all the hallmark signatures of metalcore and the unmistakable cheer of the holiday season.

10. "Little Drummer Boy" - The drum work is, as expected, the highlight here, offering a complex and compelling take on the classic song’s rhythmic pattern.

Back